We love this mussels recipe by Neil Haydock, executive chef The Beach Hut and Watergate Bay Hotel, it’s simply awesome!
Seaside Mussels with Pasta, Chilli and Lemon
This dish is a real crowd pleaser, so give it a try!
• 400g (14oz) pasta
• 1kg (2lbs) mussels, cleaned
• 400ml (14fl oz) dry white wine
• 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• 2 medium red chillies, finely sliced into rings
• 200g (7oz) unsalted butter, diced
• 100g (3½oz) washed flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
• 1 un-waxed lemon
1. Put a large pan of salted water on to boil.
2. Cook the pasta, drain and put to one side. Drizzle with a bit of oil to prevent sticking.
3. Place the pan back onto the heat and when hot add the mussels, white wine, garlic, chilli and butter.
4. Place a lid on the pot immediately to stop the steam escaping.
5. Shake the pot every 30 seconds or so for 2 minutes, before adding the chopped parsley and grating in half of the lemon zest.
6. Pop the lid back on and cook for a further minute.
7. Remove the lid and add the pasta.
8. Mix the pasta through the mussels and sauce to reheat and to absorb the flavours.
Serve immediately. Just ensure the mussel shells have opened during the cooking process and discard any which haven’t.